Saturday, November 29, 2014




Guess who's back? It's been a hot minute since my last post on Coral vs. Salmon! About a year and a half, to be exact. I have missed the blog world, fellow bloggers, and the interconnectivity of art teachers  from around the world.








I know, I have some 'splainin' to do, but before you get to thinking I got lazy, disillusioned, or took some kind of year-long vacation, I have not. The past year has been filled with a boatload of changes for me. In one year I have relocated, got a new job, got hitched, went on the honeymoon of a lifetime, and graduated with my MFA!


First off, I decided to take the big leap and pursue by Masters degree in Art Education! I was accepted to Moore College of Art & Design in the summer of 2013. At Moore, I was able to work with some of the best and brightest leaders in the field of art for Special Populations. Special Pop, in short, includes students with a wide range of learning, physical, and cognitive abilities, as well as students who are receiving education while they are homeless, living in poverty, or in corrections facilities. I wrote my thesis on the element of choice for students in a life skills classroom.







In order to commit to the coursework at Moore College, I, unfortunately had to leave my wonderful students in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It broke my heart to leave a school which such a close-knit and kinds staff and such amazingly creative students, but when I was offered a job at a school outside of Philadelphia (my all time favorite city) I could not turn it down.








The new position has challenged me to learn how to teach art in a completely new, and different way. I now teach Art a la Carte, which, I admit, which was a brand new challenge that took me a while to find my stride. I also now travel to three different schools within a single school district. One of the things I enjoy most about my new position is that now I teach elementary and middle school! As you can tell, my organizational skills are truly being put to the test, but I am so psyched to finally have a chance to start blogging again to share some of the awesome art adventures I am having at my new post.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on all the great changes! :)
    I'm also currently working on my MFA and getting married in May 2015. :)

    ReplyDelete