Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Halloween Costume? Check!



I know it's not even mid September, but I promised myself I would come home directly after school and finalize the plans for my Halloween costume. Last year, during my first year of teaching at my school, I made the huge faux pas of not being adequately prepared for the festivities. What I didn't know is there is a highly competitive teacher costume tradition. My colleagues "bring it" when it comes to Halloween. The entire school, grades K-6 and staff participate in a costume parade that goes all the way around the outside of the school that the entire community comes to see. This year I vowed I would make amends and do something big!

I came home and whipped up this design inspired by "The Persistence of Memory" by Salvador Dali.


I found this great picture of a dainty, yet boldly surreal hat here for sale in an adorable UK Etsy shop called Soobird. I think this is breathtakingly awesome but unfortunately, it is way out of my price-range. My plan is to borrow elements of the hat, creating the sculptural branch and melting clocks out of Model Magic or Sculpey clay.

I was able to create some "Persistence of Memory" fabric using Spoonflower, a website where you can make and purchase custom fabrics. I ordered 3 yards for the skirt of the dress and I am literally counting the days until it will arrive at my doorstep. 

This weekend I will go shopping for plastic ants (eeek!), feathers, the most surreal belt I can find, and hopefully on my travels I will find something that can serve as the large creepy eyelashes.

Fellow Art Teachers: Do you dress up for Halloween? What did you go as last year? What are your plans for this year?


5 comments:

  1. I LOVE costumes! Too bad our school district frowns on anything Halloweenish.....Can't wait to see your dress and hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! You are actually printing your own fabric on Spoonflower? I see museum gift shop tote bags in your future. I'm in the same situation as Pat - we are discouraged from doing Halloween at our site :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great you can celebrate! Those days are LONG gone in our district...we're even discouraged from having references to it in artwork assignments. So sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you all on that front. I did my student teaching mostly in schools located in the city or nearby suburbs where all things Halloween were absolutely out of the question. I was definitely caught off guard last year and underprepared when I was the only one in my new school who was costume-less! I looked like a real stick in the mud. I will use any excuse to dress up like a painting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first Halloween at the high school was a similar experience. Most of the staff was dressing in college attire so I followed suit but my students let me know immediately that they expected more from me as the art teacher. I haven't dropped the ball since. This year I am going as a Dia de los Muertos Bride. Anxious to see your costume all completed!!

    ReplyDelete