4th grade just finished the most amazing project just in time for some proper masquerading. I found the idea (and confidence!) from this lesson posted by Phyl over at There's A Dragon in My Classroom. I've done 3-D masks before but never on such a large scale. It turned out to be a great way to use up all of the old, neglected semi wrinkled paper from the time I cleaned out my messy paper closet earlier this school year. I put together a Powerpoint with over 100 masks from around the world which I kept on a constant rotation on the first day when students conceptualized their mask designs. We started with 18 x 24 super sturdy oaktag to cut out a symmetrical outer edge. We used scrap paper to cover the oaktag on the second day. During the end of day 2, artists made two cuts and the very top and bottom of their masks and I came around with a stapler and 3-D-ified their designs. On the final day we added symmetrical details and as Phyl suggested, we painted our masks with a clear coat of "glue stew" (a mixture of two parts glue and 1 part water.) This project was an uber hit. Many of the artists made special designs to enhance their Halloween costumes. It is nice when the kids go home with something LARGE, eye-catching, and functional to boot!